Tags

, , , , , , , , , , ,

First, my apologies to everyone who reads this blog for the lack of posts.  Between traveling and new commissions over the past week, I haven’t been around the computer much.  But I can fix that!

Pastel dust and brushes in hand, it was time for Aria’s faceup.  A “faceup” is the term the doll-making community uses to refer to the makeup, shading, and details added to a doll’s otherwise blank face and body.  Some people make good money doing faceups, with a steady hand and an eye for color.  Here’s Aria before the party started:

before Having decided she would be a redhead, I went crazy dotting freckles with watercolor pencils.  I was a little heavy-handed on the blush, partly to hide the lint and such that had worked its way into the clay when it was soft, and to give her the look of a pale-skinned ginger child that had spent a lot of time running around in the sun.  I resorted to acrylic paint for the eyelashes and eyebrows when the pastels and pencil didn’t stick well enough.  Though I started to enter the realm of “too many layers” and could have done things differently, I am generally pleased with Aria’s character.  She looks a little more blemished and real than a perfectly symmetrical molded doll.

ariafaceup2

I had to keep up with the freckles for the rest of the body to make it more realistic *tiny internal screams from so much stippling* and tried to imagine where people usually get sunburned.  Shins, shoulders, feet, and hands all got a liberal dabbling with colored pencil and pastels.

blush1I did a lot of research into sealing the doll, because many of the traditional spray-on products for BJDs actually react with polymer clay, causing the pieces to become sticky and discolored.  No es bueno.  I settled on PYM II, a protective spray originally for scrapbooking, but also labeled for polymer clay.  PYM II dries in a couple of minutes, is odorless after a couple of hours, and has a fairly matte finish when applied lightly (I just overdid it on the face).  I realized that to save on time and sealant, I needed to spray in batches, and I spared no expense in my supports made of toothpicks and extra clay.

blush2Eventually, all of the pieces were blushed and sealed and Aria was ready for restringing and installing the eyes.  She’s getting there!  I still haven’t decided on her clothes, but it will come to me.

ariafaceup1

Next time, wigmaking!

Advertisements