Taking advantage of the winter break, I have finally been able to do significant work on the cottage and I have been chipping away at the Tudor woodwork (sorry, unintended bad pun). I kept holding off on posting because it really was just hours of cut, sand, glue, sand, repeat. Now I have lots of photos to show.
When I showed a fellow miniaturist the blank walls, her immediate question was “How are you going to do the round doors and windows?” She was right to ask, and I knew it was an ill-devised design choice from the beginning, but one with a fortuitous ending. I hadn’t even cut the windows to a standard size to be able to buy them. Then one night I came across the wonderful MyLittleWoodShop2 on etsy. The shop sells laser cut birch plywood and they were willing to fill a custom order for a very reasonable price. A little sanding to make the wood rings the same 1/16″ thickness as the basswood and things were moving right along. I also lucked out that I could cut the rings in half for the doorways.
I am immensely proud of the little windows and door arches (I don’t think the amount of time I have spent ogling them is healthy), considering I figured out most of it on the fly. I also didn’t realize how many individual pieces of wood would be required, even for such a tiny, relatively simple cottage. The square windows by themselves are each made of twelve pieces of wood (I think I would have cried if you had told me that up front), and I have counted 141 individual pieces so far, at about 95% of the way done. Next will come staining, wiring, and covering the walls, and I have started making oodles of tiny bricks.