, , , , , , , ,

I have a lot of other tasks I could be doing right now, but there is just something about snow falling outside that turns me into a five year-old again.  We see snow so rarely here that we can recall the specific years we’ve had significant snowfall.  People across North Carolina have no doubt been asking each other today: “Do you remember those big storms we got in 2005 and 2000?”  If the person was there they will probably remember what they were doing at the time, as if it was on par with the lunar landing.  It is dark outside, otherwise I would show the pretty snowflakes we have coming down.


As for the little house, it has been coming along slowly but smoothly.  After completing the woodwork I had to stain the basswood, and I learned that stains on basswood can look very different from the stain swatches you see in the store (such that in the end I bought six cans of stain to get two colors in the house).  The exterior timbers have a single layer of Kona by Rustoleum, and I really like the variation in color, while not being too dark.  In looking at reference pictures and reading up on Tudor buildings, I learned the beams inside the houses were usually much lighter in color.  Getting a warmer stain for the door arches and interior woodwork has proven more challenging, and I’ll post pictures when they are finished.


I have been relying heavily on the tutorials provided by Glorious Twelfth on making a Tudor-style building in miniature.  I changed up their stucco recipe just a bit, namely adding a bit of GOLDEN gesso to thicken it up and some very fine grit sand along with the pumice gel and acrylic paint.  Even though I made a small batch, I think I could do three of these cottages and still have some leftover.  It takes two coats to get an even layer, and thin strips of masking tape have been my best friend because the paint likes to leave its mark on the stained wood.  In the end I plan to take some pastel dust to the walls to make the outside look older and weathered.


stucco6Lastly, I set out some of the bricks in different patterns to get an idea of how they’d look.  I was originally thinking of a herringbone pattern for the back wall, but when I showed it to my husband, he was pretty adamant that herringbone was too ornate for the style of the building, and that the inhabitants were likely simple, practical folk (he’s so cute sometimes).  I plan to do some basket weave brickwork on the sides of the mill part (partially because they fit in the dimensions I have to work with), and I am sure the rest will fall into place.