Tags

, , ,

I’m trying to catch my blog up to the crafty mayhem that’s reigned in my apartment these past several weeks, and here is an update on the to-be-donated house. It went from slabs of splintery wood to sections of colorful space!

I think I’m in the “wallpaper first” camp of miniaturists, at least for basic houses like this one, because I just couldn’t bring myself to squeeze elbows and paint brushes into little rooms, when the walls were much more accessible as flat pieces. May the “wallpaper second” camp lay their grievances in my comments box :-P.

The wallpaper is scrapbooking paper, and I followed some sage advice and used dollhouse wallpaper mucilage to attach it and the bathroom floor. It’s bizarre, sticky stuff, but it worked great. I also used scrapbooking paper for the kitchen floor, and protected it with a $1 layer of clear adhesive vinyl. After years of not caring which brand of cheap craft store acrylics I bought, I read how people like Ceramcoat for its better coverage. It’s usually more expensive, but when my friend and I found it on super sale, I stocked up and went crazy with it. Like interior-design-caution-to-the-wind crazy.

bonniecolor2bonniecolor3kitchenSo…I was going to sponge-paint the kitchen walls a warm yellow, but when the thought of monotonous sponging made me cry a little inside, I got out the masking tape…and went a little bonkers. I hope whoever inherits this house likes a retro-trying-to-be-futuristic kitchen.

bonniebathroomMy mom picked the beachy bathroom wallpaper and beadboard color, and I think she did a great job! Instead of expensive miniature beadboard, I used corrugated scrapbooking paper. A good friend of mine picked the green paper for the living room. And I had been planning to make this a very gender-neutral house and avoid the “pretty pretty princess” pink, but the teal fabrics I want to use in the bedroom just go best with pink, and it’s not pink’s fault we associate it with girly-ness.

The floors are wood veneer, and its future owners will never know it, but they got a teak bedroom floor. I had just enough left over for my Undersized Urbanite project :-).

colorbonnie2The suspense was getting to me once the walls were ready, and I only mildly followed the directions as I assembled the house in an hour. I knew some of the pieces had warped over their couple of decades in storage at the ebay seller’s house, and for fear of not being able to maneuver the parts in a solidly-glued house, I did everything at once, with still-wet glue. Hence the literary blockade as a drying jig.

bonnieglued1bonnieglued2Making a dollhouse this quickly is quite freeing. I’ve been working on the mill cottage for two years and it’s still not finished yet! Prepping the insides first made for a little magic once the walls were up.

Bonnie’s house is a bit further along now (baseboards and moulding up, roof glued on), but I took a long break from it to work on the Hawaiian bungalow.

Advertisements